[Nottingham] Odd behaviour in KDE

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Aug 21 17:43:00 2003

On Thursday 21 Aug 2003 16:08, Lee wrote:
> hmm, sounds interesting, coda's another one (cifs) .... not had time to
> play with them though..

As far as I could figure Coda was somewhat inactive, and Intermezzo was follow
up project based on it.  However I did see something about Coda recently so
maybe there's development of it again.

> > Actually quite a few ppl suffered data corruption with NFS, because by
> > default UDP checksums were turned off in SunOS 4, fine in Ethernets and
> > over X.25, but when fast serial lines started getting used without the
> > Level 2 protection, the problems soon  showed.
>
> Ouch.... that's nasty, thank you very much sun,  I can see why they did
> it, for speed, but if layer 2 aint checking, and layer 3 aint checking,
> then it's up to the application....ooh...nasty.......turning of
> checksumming...where they on crack or something.. I mean even if layer
> 2, is doing checking,

It's an example  of a sensible default, that turned bad when the environment
changed.  If your Layer 2 is checking, why do redundant check?  Later on
coding the check-summing tightened, and ways were found to essentially do it
at zero cost as part of normal stack processing.

There was a lot of software that needed changing or totally replacing, when
Internet access took off.

Rob