[Nottingham] c++ header files

Steve Bridges nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Aug 28 14:20:00 2003

Hi,

I'm in a similar position. I hack perl for money and play with C++ and =
Java for fun.

Basically, iostream.h is the old pre-standards STL headers. To conform =
properly to the standards, most headers are simply a name change, like =
<iostream.h> becomes <iostream>.

You may need a 'using namespace std;' line or put std:: on some =
declarations / calls. I don't think the std namespace was enforced =
properly in the older nonstandard headers.

I spent several frustrating hours searching for STL docs on the net a =
few months back, and here's the best I managed to come up with. Hope it =
helps.

Best place for STL stuff that I've found is a combination of the SGI STL =
docs (http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/) and 'Thinking in C++' by Bruce =
Eckel, which is a well-written free e-book (and proper paper book too if =
you prefer). www.eckelobjects.com has that, plus an excellent Java book =
and several other work-in-progress books.

Also, http://www.cplusplus.com/ref/iostream/ since the SGI one is a bit =
light on iostream stuff.

The obvious dead-tree based one is 'The C++ Programming Language' by =
Bjarne Stroustrup. Make sure you've got a recent edition though. The =
earlier ones had an incredible number of errata. Also, check out =
'Effective C++', 'More Effective C++' and 'Effective STL' by Scott =
Meyer. Very useful and easy to read.

Steve