[Nottingham] Gentoo portage tips

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Aug 31 20:30:01 2003

After trying out Gentoo earlier this year, I've installed (from stage1) again
today.  Wonder if there's a neat way now to :

1)  Avoid emerge later wanting to 'downgrade' a package, previously emerged
from unstable ie. ~x86.  I probably need a few eg) from DRI HOWTO.

3. Install XFree-DRM and configure direct rendering

Install XFree-DRM

Code listing 3.1

# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge xfree-drm

2)  Upgrade all security critical updates

A weakness of portage was that packages installed to fulfill dependancies,
might not get updated after security alerts, unless you specifically have
emerged them.

Rob