[Nottingham] wireless cards

.waffle nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Feb 3 16:58:02 2003

Hi there! Whatever you do, do not buy a card with a chipset by Texas
Instruments. I bought my cards back in October, and the Linux drivers "soon"
became Linux drivers not available. How to tell what chipset? Any card that
goes faster than 11Mbps (ie, the 22Mbps or 54Mbps cards). Mine is a D-Link
DWL-520+ but if you see the DWL-520 (no plus) then grab it! It has
manufacturer supported drivers. Also, any card with Prism 2/Orinoco support,
although chances are you WON'T find this information on the web site of the
vendors... well, easily at least. Finally, if at all possible, stick to PCI
only, as they are:

a) Cheaper.
b) Apparently have a better transfer rate due to less connections.
c) Normally have better antennae.

Any more info can typically be found in the forum FAQ's of the OpenForum at
ArsTechnica.com

.waffle