The LinuxBIOS Project Re: [Nottingham] PiXiE links

Martin nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Feb 11 18:16:01 2003

Another link that may be of interest:

http://www.linuxbios.org/index.html

LinuxBIOS is an Open Source project aimed at replacing the normal BIOS
with a little bit of hardware initialization and a compressed Linux
kernel that can be booted from a cold start. The project was started as
part of clustering research work in the Cluster Reseach Lab at the
Advanced Computing Laboratory at Los Alamos National Laboratory. The
primary motivation behind the project was the desire to have the
operating system gain control of a cluster node from power on. Other
beneficial consequences of using LinuxBIOS include needing only two
working motors to boot (cpu fan and power supply), fast boot times
(current fastest is 3 seconds), and freedom from proprietary (buggy)
BIOS code, to name a few. ...

Regards,
Martin

martin@ml1.co.uk