[Nottingham] NanNet

Robert Postill nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Feb 12 12:01:13 2003

This kinda depends on a couple of things.  Assuming you keep with the
ariels you get on most products it's about 50-100 metres in all
directions (with distortion vertically if memory serves).  However WLANs
suck in environments with a lot of moisture, the range can be limited to
10 metres or less if it's drizzling (which kinda is a problem in
Notingham :).  Also microwaves (for 802.11) and large metal objects can
deaden the signal.  You can get ariels to boost the reception and focus
the transmissions in specific directions, but that can get difficult
quickly.

As for the specifics, I think most communities would get benefit from
WLANs.  Panic buttons for sheltered housing, Voice over IP networks for
free telecoms the list is endless.
Robert.