[Nottingham] Sharing connections

Martin nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Feb 13 13:50:01 2003

fepple@hotpop.com wrote:

> Its for our flat next year... is on the road between the train station and
> the broadmarsh

Should have been ntl-ed, but check.

> There is gonna be 13 of us... and I imagine most of us will use the
> connection heavily....

1Mbit/s should be fine so long as not more than half of you try
streaming media simultaneously. Note though that the up-link is slower
(128kbit/s?) so you could only have one active webcam/ video conf
session (plus normal web traffic) at any moment.

Perhaps two 600kbit/s links would be more cost effective to give a
faster aggregate up-link? (Again, only if you really need it, otherwise
enjoy a nice fancy router or a few beers!)

martin@ml1.co.uk