[Nottingham] Sharing connections

Duncan John Fyfe nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Feb 13 14:54:01 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Andy Brown wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Martin wrote:
>
> >fepple@hotpop.com wrote:
> >
> >> Its for our flat next year... is on the road between the train station and
> >> the broadmarsh
> >

> >Should have been ntl-ed, but check.
> >

> >> There is gonna be 13 of us... and I imagine most of us will use the
> >> connection heavily....
> >

> >1Mbit/s should be fine so long as not more than half of you try
> >streaming media simultaneously. Note though that the up-link is slower
> >(128kbit/s?) so you could only have one active webcam/ video conf
> >session (plus normal web traffic) at any moment.
>
> Just in case anybody's at all bothered about breaking NTL's AUP, they
> say you're only allowed to connect up to 3 computers to one cable
> modem. (So why do they sell people 4 port routers?)

I wonder what the legal interpretation of 'connected to' is in this case (as oppopsed to the ntl interpretation) ?

I have one computer (a firewall) connected to by CM but I have
other computer(s) connected to the firewall (separate NIC) through a hub - but NOT directly to the CM.  I wonder if they count as 'connected to the CM' ?

Have fun,
Duncan