[Nottingham] NanNet

Lee nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Feb 18 12:53:00 2003

Hello Paul..

> So if there's no money to but made at the content level;  and you're wanting
> the cost at layer 3 to be ``very close to zero''.   How exactly are you
> proprosing long-term funding?

Sorry Paul, I was talking about local networking, something that does'nt
need transit fee's.... Long term funding? well you buy the equipment and
your on.... and that's it really, the more nodes you add, the better
performance you get...slight different with 802.11b , it being a
broadcast medium, but you can just add another radio card for backbone
connectivity.

> Perhaps BT flogging you layer-1/2 interconnects is their last remaining way
> to still bring in decent revenue...?  :)

My heart bleeds for them... :-))))))))))))))))))))))))

> 512Kb is a burst...  I tried to explain why the limits are to somebody:
>
>   1GB/day limit = ~32GB/month.
>
>   IP Transit costs ~100ukp/Mb/month.
>
>   1Mb/month bandwidth = ~320GB/month transfer (which cost 100ukp)
>
> So for each NTL Cable customer they are directly spending 10ukp of the
> monthly fee on buying transit.  That leaves 15ukp for running their network,
> paying off support droids, enormous loans and actually trying to make a
> profit.

Oh my hearts bleeding again....poor things....how do they cope...,
If i was sitting in telehouse, I wonder how much 512k would cost me?
do you see my point?

> Okay, now re-run the figures for everybody downloading 2GB/day = ~64GB/month
> = ~20ukp/month.  Woah, now they have to run their network, pay for their
> broadband advertising, support droids, installation teletubbies, electricity
> bill, make a profit *and* pay off their debts with a fiver/month that's left.

do ya get meh? but downloading 2GB a day from where? from you? or from
russia? why can't I transfer 2gb with you, then there's no transit
fee's?

get meh?

Laters,
Lee

> > and was'nt jsut a few years ago that bt said the internet would fail?
>
> Dunno about BT, but Microsoft certainly said that--and meant it aswell.

yeah....GAme over
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/