Sony CDRW & Linux Re: [Nottingham] Mandrake 9.0

Martin nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Feb 19 17:50:01 2003

bob winter wrote:

> Has anyone seen anything about Mandrake 9.0 problems with Sony CDRWs

No, but then again, I haven't looked...

> Linux version 2.4.19-16mdk (quintela@bi.mandrakesoft.com) (gcc version 3.2 (Mandrake Linux 9.0 3.2-1mdk)) #1 Fri Sep 20 18:15:05 CEST 2002
> BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
[...]
> Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12

My system fails at the point above (complete system freeze) for an old
Sony CDRW on an ide secondary master interface. I also have a Panasonic
DVD/CD drive on ide primary master that works fine. (ide slaves unused.)

The workaround for me is to have the secondary ide interface disabled in
the bios so that the Sony CDRW isn't visible.

The Sony CDRW freeze-up is consistant for the Mandrake 9.0 boot disk,
the HD installed system, and also for Demo Linux booted from cd.

I'm doing a kernal rebuild before investigating further.

Let me know if you get any ideas or hints/tips!

Good luck,

martin@ml1.co.uk