[Nottingham] Microkernal GNU Mach (with GNU Hurd)

Jon Masters nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Feb 21 13:10:01 2003

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Robert Davies wrote:

> On Thursday 20 February 2003 18:39, you wrote:
> > Anyone using/ playing with the GNU Mach/ GNU Hurd combination for Linux?

There is no ``GNU Mach / GNU Hurd combination for Linux'' though I imagine
that one already got pointed out - Mach is a Microkernel, HURD is a layer
on top of what Tanenbaum would call Tasks and Servers. Microsoft Windows
NT+ is ``Microkernel inspired''. See also Minix, Darwin, Amoeba, Chorus.

> If you're serious about using an 'under development' kernel like Hurd, your
> best starting point is Debian, not Mandrake, as they actually have a Debian
> GNU/Hurd working group, check on their website and mail lists.

Go with the Debian suggestion :-)

Jon.