[Nottingham] MySQL question

BUNTER MATTHEW nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 3 10:45:01 2003

--- Re=E7u de       VITEUR.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77             03/01/03 =
11.42

All,

I've been given access to a RedHat 7.2 instance (2.4.17) and in particul=
ar
the MySQL server running on that instance. It is the first time I have u=
sed
MySQL that I have not been the root user. The Sys Admin told me to conne=
ct
to the server as so :

$>mysql mysql

This gets me in with no password. I am actually able to change to the my=
sql
db and view the user table. I can also connect using just $mysql - I kno=
this is very bad but I'm not the one in charge of the server.

I notice that in the user table is the same username I use to connect to
the instance without a password for either % or localhost. Also there ar=
blanks in the user column with no password but with hosts assigned.

SO...

My questions are :

Who am I connecting as using $>mysql mysql?
Who am I connecting as using just $>mysql?
Are the blank field entries some sort of default guest access?

Regards,

Matt

-------
  -> NOTTINGHAM(a)MAILMAN.LUG.ORG.UK