[Nottingham] Next Meeting? --Wednesday 2003 January 8th

Michael Erskine nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 3 15:52:01 2003

Good point - I mentioned it at the last meeting and people seemed to
find it interesting. Its only really of use on quite specific hardware.

> Perhaps you could point us all to a URL that gives some basic=20
> information about the product & its functions.
>=20
> Thanks, Malcolm

Ok, here's the blurb...

---------->8---cut-here--->8-----------

Pixie - a Linux distribution for generally non-interactive diskless
networked (PXE-booting) VIA EPIAs=20

Main features and design goals: -

* Geared around Via EPIA 5000 mainboard - a low cost, small form factor,
standard PC.=20
* Based on the ideas behind various other thin client linux
distributions: notably PXES, NetStation, Diet-PC, and LTSP.=20
* Developed on the Slackware 8.1 distribution (a modern, unbloated but
complete, straighforward Linux distribution which works out of the box
on VIA EPIAs unlike many of the other popular Linux distributions)=20
* Kernel =3D 2.4.18 for C3 processor architecture (eventually: currently
2.4.17 for i386 patched for cramfs)
* BusyBox 0.60.5 multibinary=20
* Base system layout - simplified - based on NetStation layout with
tempfs and ramfs separation.=20
* XFree86 4.2 - with trident.o driver
* blackbox window manager=20
* Linux or Win32 boot server
* simple config and setup a must=20
* Java(tm) Runtime Environment available with AWT and swing -- Blackdown
1.3.1=20
* glibc 2.2.5
* Open Source (but not yet)

It is currently used as a lower cost platform for my company's passenger
information display software (in Java) for displaying timetables,
notices, and adverts in bus, rail and air terminals. It does, however
lend itself to being quite a powerful interactive X-terminal or telnet
client and may be useful as a low-cost kiosk platform.

Regards,

Michael.