USB to NTL cable (Re: [Nottingham] linux laptop with printing)

Rob Andrews nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 9 19:44:03 2003

[09-Jan-2003 19:16.25 (GMT) / Paul Sladen]
 > > > [...] USB to NTL cable modem.
 > > Any issues with the USB to NTL bit?
 > That would be interesting to find out--what was it like setting it up Nick?;
 > My advice has always been to use Ethernet where is it available as all the
 > cable-modems all have both USB and Ethernet on the back.

Mmm, that's always been my policy too. I'm guessing the virtual ethernet
adapter the cable modem provides will need to have it's MAC address
registered with NTL (blueyonder have a web page in self-service where you
can enter up to 10 MAC addresses that can get DHCP leases).

It might even reduce latency, albeit by a *minute* amount.

Personally, I prefer using Ethernet :)

--
rob 'nine' andrews         <e> rob@impure.org.uk <pgp_key> 0x8bb5c71e
is nothing sacred?   <more> finger nine@impure.org.uk for more detail