Recording TV onto PC : WAS [Nottingham] Students

Philip Scott nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jan 11 18:11:00 2003

> Did you do that by copying the DVDs or did you actually record the
> series directly onto the hard drive? If the latter I would love to
> know how you did it, what hardware you used, programs etc.

The ones I have are rips from the DVD's i'm afraid :)

> I am trying to figure a way to get parts of a wedding video on VHS
> into an mpeg type format (no blackmailing involved I assure you). I
> have been quoted several heart attack inducing figures so far.

This is certainly possible, although I must say I have never tried it in Linux
I know there are TV-Input cards that Linux supports. The only place I can
think of pointing you is the Multimedia/Video for Linux section in the kernel
make menu thingy (if you use make menuconfig or make xconfig) which lists
some devices which may do what you want :) Unfortunatley if your device isn't
listed you may have to resort to putting the card in a windows machine and
using the windows drivers which (hopefully) came with it - this is how me and
my friends made 'Milk'

(For those of you with nice quick connections, a snip at 45 meg - worth every
byte ;)
http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=/parties/2002/assembly02/wild/milk_by_sdk.avi&fileinfo

Kind Regards,
 Philip

PS.
If you are really stuck, if you give me the VHS, I could arrange for it to be
done for you. I've a friend who has a capture card we know works :)