[Nottingham] Re joystick, thanks.

Jon Masters nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 13 02:40:01 2003

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, jason wrote:

> Just to say thankyou to Lee and Alan.
> I need to look up the difference between insmod and modprobe and work through
> the things you've sent but I'm sure it'll get me there in the end.

I seem to have missed this thread and may get in touch with you off list
about sorting the problem. Modprobe effectively resolves any module
dependencies before loading each module required by a particular module
(it does this using the dependency information generated by depmod from
symbols within the modules themselves). In recent kernels it is also
possible for a device to dynamically cause dependencies to be loaded.

> lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/drivers/char/joystick/ns558.o.gz: init_module:
> No such device

The detection code is not finding the joystick device (is it correct?).

> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
> invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

Which port is it on, where is it, etc.?

>       You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
> modprobe: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/drivers/char/joystick/ns558.o.gz failed
> modprobe: insmod ns558 failed

Please send the contents of the relevent portions of those log files.

I happen to be revising the joystick driver code right now (not for
that device) for interest and also as it may come up in an exam today :-)

Jon.