[Nottingham] Re: February

Duncan John Fyfe nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jan 19 09:17:01 2003

> On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Roger Light wrote:
> > >We should /probably/ work out something else.  I guess.
> >
> > Yep. Any suggestions? Perhaps we should throw it open to the list.
>
> JCM offered!   (What were your ideas Jonathan?)
>
> 	-Paul

I'll start by saying thanks to everyone who came along to January's
outing.  It was good to see more people, especially those I hadn't seen before.

As for February...

I agree Dave Jones would be better off on a later, more organized date (maybe a bigger room than usual too).  If Michael (Erskin) is able to do his talk on Pixie that would be great but I remember talk of needing to knock together a server for a demonstration - Michael, have you had any luck/time to do this ?

I'll book the usual room for February and we can do something even if it is "tuxracer tactics - know your herring from your anchovies"

Other options for February and beyond are....

Marcel was asking about help with his laptop and USB CD-ROM drive.
How about a bring and share (fix) session.

Marcel also offered to talk to the bods in Notts City council who have implemented a 1500 (?) user linux based email system.  The hope is they would be willing to come and talk to us.

Samba, a few people have asked for a talk on this.  Does anyone feel sufficiently confident to give this one ?

We have had a few requests now for a repeat of Paul et al. on "How to wire your home for broadband" talk.

Can we organize/run a linux install day/evening ?

I have put the meeting dates on the web site but
I don't know when the University terms are.  It would be silly to
organize a juicy talk like DaveJ outside of term time.

A somewhat stickier issue is money.  The usual room in Beeston costs GBP 12.50 (+1.00 for OHP) for the night.  I paid the last two meetings there but obvioulsy don't want to keep doing this indefinitely.  How should we as a LUG handle the issue of contributions and money ?

Have fun
Duncan