[Nottingham] size of swap partition

Martin nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 20 13:37:01 2003

BUNTER MATTHEW wrote:

> --- Reçu de       VITEUR.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77             20/01/03 13.59
> Got a PC with 1 Gig RAM and I'm confused about the different suggestions
> regarding swap size. When I had 256 M RAM I did a swap partition of 512.
> But what sort of size should I allocate when having 1 Gig of RAM? Double?
>
> For info it's going to do various tasks, have a web server running,
> database, be my internet access point, bit of development, workstation etc.
> Due to some games I have it will also run Windows.

With that amount of RAM, the thing should never need to swap!

The 'have swap x2 system RAM' is probably a historical bit of dozywin
technical advice. However, it does give a reasonable maximum swap size
so that you can run the maximum of virtual memory without thrashing your
system to a standstill.

If you have the diskspace, then put in the swap. There should be no
performance degradation if it is there but not utilized by the system.

Look at how much memory is grabbed by your most memory hungry
application(s). You might for example get all of your database in
virtual memory if required...

I'm running with a virtual memory space of just over 1Gb and nothing has
come close to exceeding it. With multiple apps & windows open, the
system has at the moment just hit 234Mb for its peak allocation.

Regards,

martin@ml1.co.uk