[Nottingham] size of swap partition

BUNTER MATTHEW nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 20 14:50:01 2003

--- Re=E7u de       VITEUR.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77             20/01/03 =
15.47

The PC has a 120 G hard disk as well so allocating 1 G of swap partition
won't be a problem.

Thanks for the advice,

Matt

------------------------------------------------------------------------=
---

Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:33:01 +0000
Subject: Re: [Nottingham] size of swap partition

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 13:37, Martin wrote:

> The 'have swap x2 system RAM' is probably a historical bit of dozywin
> technical advice. However, it does give a reasonable maximum swap size
> so that you can run the maximum of virtual memory without thrashing yo=
ur
> system to a standstill.

No quite. The actual requirement depends on the version off the kernel
you are running. There are recent kernel versions (early 2.4.x - I
forget which exactly) which needed swap > RAM x 2 or no swap at all.

I'm pretty sure that this requirement has been relaxed, but it's still a
fairly good rule of thumb.

Rob