[Nottingham] size of swap partition

James Dobson nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jan 21 10:37:00 2003

--- Robert Davies <rob_davies@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Monday 20 January 2003 13:37, you wrote:
> > BUNTER MATTHEW wrote:
> > > --- Reçu de       VITEUR.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77
>             20/01/03
> > > 13.59 Got a PC with 1 Gig RAM and I'm confused
> about the different
> > > suggestions regarding swap size. When I had 256
> M RAM I did a swap
> > > partition of 512. But what sort of size should I
> allocate when having 1
> > > Gig of RAM? Double?
> > >
> > > For info it's going to do various tasks, have a
> web server running,
> > > database, be my internet access point, bit of
> development, workstation
> > > etc. Due to some games I have it will also run
> Windows.
> >
> > With that amount of RAM, the thing should never
> need to swap!
> >
> > The 'have swap x2 system RAM' is probably a
> historical bit of dozywin
> > technical advice. However, it does give a
> reasonable maximum swap size

A case in point is a system that I have with 1gb of
ram  (redhat 7.3)

Mem:  1030676K av,  941356K used,   89320K free,
0K shrd,  188652K buff
Swap: 2097136K av,     976K used, 2096160K free
          618692K cached

Even after 2 days it's started to use swap, so as you
can see a system will use swap even if there is Mem
free. I have also noticed that the longer the system
is running the more swap it use's (although it's yet
to use more than 5%).

James D