[Nottingham] Linux Evening classes

Duncan John Fyfe nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 4 15:39:01 2003

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, david joseph wrote:

> I think evening classes are a really excellent idea.  I'd be interested
> in attending and I'd do whatever I could to help.
>
> Regards, David

sorry to be the awkward one but...

Where would we get a 'computer lab' of Linux based machines to run such a course with ?
(queue Dilbert teaching Elbonians how to program...)

A discussion started in the pub last meet was ...

How do you  'Introduce someone to GNU/Linux' ?

We got as far as:
"You can put someone infront of a Linux desktop and show them GIMP, Evolution etc, scare them silly with
a terminal or teach them how to "Hello, World!" in a dozen languages but is it really GNU/Linux ?"

So, thinking caps on chaps and chapettes:

Q1.  Given a class of normal windows user,  nine one hour lessons and enough computers with 'a good distro'(TM)
installed,  what would you cover to teach them something about GNU/Linux ?

Q2.  (optional). Given your current experience/exposure to GNU/Linux what would you like to know more
about (think in terms of LUG meeting presentations too) ?

Have fun,
Duncan

--
Duncan John Fyfe          X-ray Astronomy Group,
                          Dept. of Physics & Astronomy,