[Nottingham] Hosting your own domain/s?

Kus nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jul 7 20:35:02 2003

Rock solid for 10 months. 4 hrs of downtime. Totally happy with ntl as a server pipe. The only issue is upload. I only get 128k upload, which means its useless for games.

But we only host muds and ftp/irc so its all good. We use QOS kernel level packet priorities to keep it bearable and reduce lag. Usually people ftp all day, all night a-la-kazaa. Super pipes are nice,
but if you just plan ahead and say, "hmm, I'd like to watch that maybe tomorrow night." you can ..

Hehe.

Only issue is the domain, its a hassle to put up with people like no-ip and their frankly bizarre policies. I was banned for running an irc server which they took exception too, despite we not
actually using their domain. I took exception to them telling me what I can and cant run on my own server and so ..

I need a new domain. umbrel.la looks good. :)

Kus.

http://slashdot.org

Free E-mail for life. http://www.jmail.co.jp
Multi-lingual web hosting. http://www.servance.jp