[Nottingham] Hosting your own domain/s?

Alex Herington nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 8 11:18:00 2003

| As for degrading the service to others, do you think they arent all
| doing the same thing? I live in a student area, most houses contain
| not less than 5 computers all downloading and uploading gigs a
| day.

Maybe this is slightly off topic, but this is why I think projects like 'Naan'
are so awesome :) If access to bandwidth was 'clustered' geographically, i.e.
a wireless LAN in each city then maybe link the cities by fibre, and have
maybe some web proxies per city (or WLAN), that'd be ideal. It'd even be
viable to do this via the government and pay for it through a 'broadband tax'
or something. I just think it's a waste when, if I want to access a website in
Nottingham, it's likely I'll be routed via some backbone located in London
(which is probably congested). It would be interesting to find out how much
Internet traffic (for an average home or business user) is limited to one city
as opposed to the rest of the country and international traffic. Just random
thoughts :)

Wouldn't it be cool if we could start from scratch? hehe. Blah, I'll stop
rambling.

Alex.