[Nottingham] chmod of a /mnt/dir...

Martin Garton nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jul 9 13:32:01 2003

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Martin wrote:

> How should I change the /mnt/* permissions?

It depends.

> Or am I barking up the wrong bits and there is some cleverness elsewhere
> that is required?

For fat, yes. fat partitions do not have the same permissions system as
linux and other unices, so the usual way is to specify at mount time what
the whole partition should be.  man mount and look for umask.  As well as
passing the umask parameter to mount, you can specify it in your fstab as
an option if (for example) you are mounting a vfat partition at boot
time.

Some of the wine folks have put more detailed info here:

http://crossover.codeweavers.com/docs/office/html/wine-user/vfat.html

Cheers,
Martin.