[Nottingham] Linux Tuition

Graeme Fowler nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 11 16:46:00 2003

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Duncan John Fyfe wrote:
> small plethora = ??

Definitely six, possibly more. It depends upon how much time I get to
zero-format them, and how many there are (I'll go look in a minute).

> Who would you need this guarentee from ?

Well, "guarantee" in the loose sense of the word. What I mean, more
accurately, is that we're willing to let them out (they will be signed out by
me, so they will effectively be my property after leaving the building) of the
business on the understanding that they're to be used by the LUG for the
benefit of the LUG's members and associates (or other community-based groups)
and not for personal profit.

The way I see that is that we have the machines somewhere, and every once in a
while someone says "I require the machines for <insert activity here>" to the
LUG. A consensus can then be taken, personal issues put aside obviously, and
the LUG can permit/deny the use according to whether we feel the use is
beneficial to the membership.

For the near future they're probably going to be OK living here, to be honest,
since there's enough staff who are also LUGgies to take care of the system as
and when necessary. Either that, or as already suggested we the further loan
them to another organisation. I for one don't fancy that personally, since
adminning them will be a nightmare...

Discuss