[Nottingham] Big biiig problem regarding IDE-RAID

Martin Garton nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 15 13:47:00 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Alex Herington wrote:

> Lessons I have learned (heh): Don't panic so much. Heart attacks at 21 aren't
> cool.. and IDE-RAID isn't worth the hassle (with some Promise chipsets at
> least). Spend the extra dough and go SCSI.

With all disks on seperate channels software raid with IDE disks is nice
and fast, although personally I only ever do it for the speed increases,
not for redundancy and I have never tried to recover from a disk failure
scenario, so I can't comment on that aspect.

I've heard it said by several people though that hardware raid is only
better than linux software raid if you really have good raid hardware.

I once did software raid0 across four drives - two scsi drives in an
adaptec 29160n and two ide drives. Asking for trouble maybe, but very
fast.

Cheers,
Martin.