[Nottingham] apt-sources question (apologies I'm stupid)

Ben Blackburne nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jul 17 13:11:00 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 12:53, Bunter Matthew wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm running a distribution called Libranet, version 2.8, which is
> Debian based. I asked this same question on the Libranet mailing list
> last night with no replies so hopefully the Nottingham LUG will come
> to my rescue.
>
> I'd like to know from the Debian based users what their apt sources
> file looks like. This is due to performance issues connecting to the
> US (these being the default in the supplied Libranet apt sources
> file).

Mine has:

deb http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main
non-free contrib
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/ woody/non-US main contrib non-free

for the main repositories.

I don't know about Libranet, but debian has a program called apt-setup
which will help you choose repositories.

We might be able to help more if you let us know what your sources.list
looks like.

> will apt-get automatically 'get' the correct version of apache-devel
> for the version of apache I'm using? Or do I need to specify the
> version. Apparently Libranet uses debs from stable, testing and
> unstable so this is just so I can get my head around where apt is
> getting from. Apologies if this is confusing - I'm just getting used
> to apt myself.

If you are running the latest apache in whatever branch you are
subscribed to in your sources.list, you should get the correct
apache-devel. Otherwise apt may want to upgrade apache before installing
apache-devel. I don't think apt will let you install the wrong version
of a devel package - they normally depend on the same version of the
non-devel package.

Again, sending your sources.list would help clear up any confusion. I
have not used Libranet recently, and probably most people on the list
are more familiar with "pure" Debian.

Ben