[Nottingham] apt-sources question (apologies I'm stupid)

Bunter Matthew nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 18 09:13:01 2003

>my sources.list (I run unstable on my laptop):
>deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable main
>non-free contrib
>deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US
>unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

OK I'm going to put in the UK centric stuff in my sources list.=20
My default is below

deb http://libranetlinux.com updates/2.8
deb http://libranetlinux.com security/2.8

deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free

deb http://non-us.debian.org/ sarge/non-US main contrib non-free

deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security sarge/updates main contrib
non-free
deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security stable/updates main =
contrib
non-free

These are the lines that aren't commented out. There are details for =
deb-src
stuff which are commented out.

>(Just checking - debian php is not compiled for
>apxs?).
>There are three versions of apache-dev in debian:
>(probably wrapped)
>http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=3Dapache-=
dev&searchon=3Dnames&subword=3D1&version=3Dall&release=3Dall
>one for each of stable, testing, unstable.
>There are 2 versions of apache2-dev (one for testing,
>one for unstable).

I installed apache during the initial setup. Since I knew that I needed =
to compile MySQL and PHP with certain attirbutes I didn't try using a =
deb. I had the same compilation problem on RedHat and remembered that =
installing apache-devel solved it so I thought that it might be resolved =
the same way with Libranet.

>In each case the -dev version depends on the
>apache[2]-common packge so cannot be installed without
>that. You won't most likely have that installed
>without the corresponding apache package.

>You will need deb-src entries (exactly the same with
>-src) - "apt-get -b source package" should build a
>package from source:=20
>http://www.mayin.org/ajayshah/COMPUTING/debian-principles.html

Thanks for all this info, I shall spend the weekend playing about.

Rgs,

Matt