[Nottingham] CD-RW that Burn once, and appear to erase but won't rewrite

James Gibbon nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jul 21 00:26:01 2003

Robert Davies wrote:

> Using K3b which uses cdrecord underneath.  Anyone seen this one?
> The disk is detected as RW when burned, any modes to avoid like
> DAO?

No, never seen it, but DAO works fine on CD-RW, I don't know of any
modes which don't work exactly as they would with write-once CD-R.

Is there a way to find out exactly how cdrecord is being invoked
(ie with what arguments)?

> The logging of what goes on basically reports a media error when
> it atttempts to re-write.  Erasing disks has worked but still won't
> write after.

Only thing I can think is, make sure you aren't erasing with
'dummy' mode switched on.  As I expect you know, many cd burning
utilities let you do a dry run with the write laser turned off.

FWIW this is what I use to blank CDRWs & it works fine (LG CD
rewriter, cdrecord 2.0):

 cdrecord blank=fast dev="1,0,0"

The 'dev' value is specific to my own particular setup, of course.

James