[Nottingham] Debian lilo problems

Tony Leake nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jul 21 09:08:01 2003

Hi,

I have just installed Debian for the first time and have some problems with
lilo.

Apologies in advance if this turns into a long post but there's a lot of
'relevant' information

The machine has run Mandrake for a long time but I wanted to try other
distros so I added a new slave disk (hdd) and installed Suse. Suse installed
grub, I think on the mbr of hdd as when I booted I got a Suse prompt, if I
selected 'other linux' I then got my normal Mandrake lilo prompt.

Next I decided to trash Suse and install Debian. I was given the option of
where to install lilo and I selected hdd. When I rebooted I got a screen
full of 01 01 01 etc, same from the boot disk. I re-installed Debian, this
time selecting hda for the boot loader, made another boot disk, same result,
01 01 01.

I rebooted using rescue and completed the installation and can reboot at any
time using rescue but no lilo.

I have also tried running mandrake's rescue disk and re-installing it's
bootloader, changing the bios to boot from hard drive 1 instead of hard
drive 0 but still the same result.

I don't know if it's relevant but the mother board is a MSI KM2M combo-L
running a 2.4 gig Athlon and both drives are Western Digital Caviar 20gb .

After searching google I believe it may be something to do with where the
boot loader is installed but I coudn't find and concrete help.

Thanks for any ideas.
Tony