[Nottingham] dd and partitions (Re: Very slow dd if=/dev/random)

Martin nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 29 11:25:00 2003

Paul Sladen wrote:
[...]
> Out-of-interest, what's wrong with using `/dev/zero', which produces a very
> high quality stream of bits, generally uncontaminated by "ones"?

Nothing other than for the sake of experimentation.

I have a 200GB disk in my system temporarily with trashed data, so just
having a low-level play.

An interesting aside...

On my system, the BIOS recognises the disk as being 200G, but then fails
to autodetect correctly and fails on one of the SMART commands for it.
However, Linux seems happy with it. /sbin(?)/fdisk even read the
corrupted partion tables as far as they went. Mandrake's diskdrake seems
fine with it.

However, on another system that I flashed the BIOS to support >136GB,
Win2k trashed the partitions. Also, dd to transfer a backup image onto
the disk took far longer than expected, suggesting that it wrote beyond
the size of the backup image.

I've just done a dd to copy my 8GB disk over onto it and it behaved
exactly as expected, superblock and partitions reported ok by fdisk.

So still wondering whether dd is completely immune from disk drive
geometries when using /dev/hdg for example...

Also, if I use dd for transferring a partition to an existing partition
on a __different__ sized hard disk (/dev/hda1 -> /dev/hdgX) for example,
will the partition tables chain be untouched or overwritten at that point?

(eg: the source hda1 will be copied over but its link to the next
partion will now be wrong for the destination disk...? Does this work ok
for primary partions but not logical partitions??)

martin@ml1.co.uk