[Nottingham] Matrix Reloaded

Graeme Fowler nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jun 2 19:10:01 2003

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Bunter Matthew wrote:
> Entertaining yes, but I didn't go to watch Keanu's backside

Carrie-Ann Moss's however...

> The special effects and fight scenes are however top class.

Indeed. Regardless of the amount of "obvious" CGI in the film [0], there's
still a lot of "mess with your head" philosophy and reality shifting in the
film to make it really rather deep, once you get below the surface action.

[0] think back 26 years to Star Wars, with hindsight did you *really* believe
the light saber was a convincing effect? Well... I was only seven at
the time!

Personally, I liked The Architect's sequence a lot (sorry for those who have
not yet seen it and may regard this a spoiler) - the use of recursion in that
scene was very impressive and really quite thought provoking. The fact that
it's not been made as a "standalone"  film is fairly unusual, also - much of
the film would make no sense (again, once you look past the action) unless
you've seen the first one. And the way it ends leaves you in no doubt that,
well, there's more to come...

It's far more comedic that the first one, but then it would be - the first one
was really the tester (or even taster) for the whole trilogy. If it bombed, it
stood up on its' own as a cult film. It didn't. Now we have part the third to
look forward too.

Graeme

PS - and of course, Trinity uses nmap :)