[Nottingham] Matrix Reloaded

James Gibbon nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jun 4 18:38:01 2003

> What got my heckles up about this is the same thing as when a
> slashdot post begins "Having studied this at college at a grad
> student and worked in the field for 5 years...". I dislike
> arguments by authority - they are a kind of reverse ad hominem.

I mentioned the fact that I had read and understood Kant and Plato
only because I was specifically asked, otherwise I would not have
referred to it.  Studying philosophy on a humanities degree course
is a pretty modest achievement anyway, and not actually relevant to
the discussion, since I would expect any adult of reasonable
intelligent to understand that the Matrix films are not to be taken
seriously from a philosophical point of view.  That's my whole
point.