[Nottingham] Computer woes

Alex Tibbles nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jun 6 10:15:02 2003

An easy way of preventing the OS from doing much to
the drive is to boot using the wondrous Windows 98
Diagnostic disk. DMA? It doesn't support it. Caching?
Ditto.
I have a Maxtor 80GB (1 year warranty -> 14 months
use) which was my data disk. I have retrieved files
(my self-assessment accounts too - why didn't I make
backups?) by booting off the 98 floppy and not doing
any unneccessary reads from the disk. My pet theory,
judging by the noises it makes, is that whatever stops
the heads going over the edge of the drive has failed
(The drive makes a click-click-click noise). BUT, I
can use (bits of) the drive, but not W*nd*ws 2000
(havn't tried linux on that machine).

I have no idea if that helps - good luck.

alex