[Nottingham] Request for CDW help

Philip Scott nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jun 16 10:50:01 2003

> Can someone help getting my CDRW to work? Would you be willing to come
> round to my house and sort it out? I'd be happy to remunerate you in some
> way, a meal,  drinks, etc.

> Trying to use the CDRW causes a kernel panic.

You might try downloading a vanilla kernel from www.kernel.org (2.4.21 is the
latest stable release) and compiling it yourself.. Maybe it's a modification
on SuSE's part that is messing things up.

I suspect (but at am not at all sure, since I have never actually *used* usb,
that you will need to compile the USB Mass Storage drivers for ATA or ATPI
bridge, and then you need the scsi-ide, so you're talking to your cdrom in
scsi over ide over usb 8*) As I say, I'm not  all that sure, but that's my
best guess. Does your cdrom show up in /proc/usb anywhere? What happens if
you plug it in whilst your computer is turned on?

Regards,
	Philip