CD-RW help 2 (Re: [Nottingham] Request for CDW help)

Duncan John Fyfe nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jun 17 12:54:01 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Martin wrote:

> Reading the onscreen boot messages, devfs is about the first thing
> started up.
>
> All the strangeness I've been clobbered by seems to be around the
> ide-scsi kernal module and how to get it to load. Playing with the lilo
> append line, /etc/modules, and /etc/modules.conf, or following fixes for
> old linux systems, causes a variety of severe slowdowns, complete
> freezes, or segmentation fault errors during the boot up scripts.
>
> I can reliably get ide-scsi to load by using insmod from the command
> prompt. Trying modprobe ide-scsi fails unless it is already loaded!
> Using lsmod shows that ide-cd is stubbornly always loaded.
>
> And in the midst of all this, the sound output has been silenced.
>

> I'm also a little bemused by how these loaded modules tie together and
> how devfs generates the /dev entries... So far I've failed to see
> anything more than an empty /dev/scsi...
>
> I'd rather not have to boot over the Windoze just to use my CD-RW.
>
> Any clues or pointers would be greatly welcome. I can post the relevant
> files if any gurus out there welcome a detective challenge! So far, the
> mandrake newsnet group have come up blank.

You might do what I've done. Ditch ide-cd  entirely in favour of ide-scsi emulation for all CDRW and CD/DVD type drives.
I found it solved all sorts of hassles.

Can you do an 'hdparm -i ...' on you cd-rw and find out what it thinks
it is capable of.  I had problems because mine only handles mdma2 but
the kernel tried auto-assumed udma. The solution was to disable auto-assume udma and enabe it on a per interface option.

Have fun,
Duncan

--
Duncan John Fyfe          X-ray Astronomy Group,
                          Dept. of Physics & Astronomy,