[Nottingham] NTL Cache Performance Suggestions

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Mar 2 00:48:02 2003

On Sunday 02 March 2003 00:05, you wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, .waffle wrote:
> > apt-get cache? Err... Isn't it stored in like /var/apt/packages or
> > something?
>
> Be evil like me, NFS mount a directory there, sod race conditions. ;-)
>
> Stick an apt-get update in a cron job (not an upgrade obviously) and use a
> shared directory for archives - not the package lists - (just don't do
> stuff at the same time on both hosts). It works, so does squid...

There used to be in SunOS 4 (BSD based) a 'translucent' filesystem, which was
backed by another in effect read-only one.  Basically it was a COW
filesystem, changes in it did not appear in the 'original'.  It would be neat
way to avoid races, and I think some of the distributed filesystems like
Intermezzo must have similar attributes.  Jon I'm sure you can see how that
combined with a sneaky rsync or mirror job, to fill up the main cache from
the clients, would allow you to get really evil *grin*

Rob