[Nottingham] OT - developing skills on the mainframe

Lee nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Mar 3 19:02:00 2003

> Mainframes are good in applications where little CPU is required but great
> raw I/O bandwidth, a modern example is serving static webpages for a hosting
> company.
>
> Rob

Hmmm, I'd disagree with you there, I'd say mainframes are good with
large chunks of non interactive data... they don't handle small chunks
very well, i.e network packets, key strokes, that kinda thing.. I may be
wrong, but that's what the two mainframe geeks on the ibm stand at the
linux show told me... and they seem to know there s**t. So if you got
lots of batch processing to do (like a bank for example) there the
business..... hmmm, they use em in banks, maybe worth learning afterall
for a 100% pay rise... :-))))

Cheers,
Lee