[Nottingham] OT - developing skills on the mainframe

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Mar 3 22:39:01 2003

On Monday 03 March 2003 21:45, you wrote:
> > And you think web pages with forms and serving static content isn't old
> > style 'block mode' processing...
> >
> > Rob
>
> Err, well yeah, but I was thinking about when it goes onto the network,
> get sliced up into packets, there's also latency between you actually
> requesting a page, and it being served at you...
>
> I may be wrong...I am often am..

Find something that explains about how TCP/IP works, it's a 'sliding window'
protocol, you will see mention on 'tuning' sites about TCP Window size etc.

Now most of time things are not 'sliced up into little packets' you have to
remember the trade off, on errors.  Large packet, if too many bytes are wrong
then even if you used ECC codes, you would have to restransmit lots of data.

Yep ATM cell size is too small for Data, and too large for Telecoms ppl, it's
a compromise, but that's not visible to you and small packets have advnatage
of lowering latency.

Hence the advice to reduce MTU/MRU on PPP dialup for interactive comfort.

Rob