[Nottingham] Wednesday 5th March (TODAY!) NotLUG 7pm! [Nottingham]

Graeme Fowler nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Mar 5 13:42:01 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Paul Sladen wrote:
> Nottingham City Council, Nottingham's Biggest Employer, recently switched
> over 7,000 of their users from Microsoft-based email systems to a reliable
> web-based groupware system running on SuSE's GNU/Linux mail-server.

Can I wave my hand and say that:

Loughborough University migrated their entire email system over from a
combination of Solaris on Sun Sparc (Ultra architecture) running a hacked
Qualcomm Qpopper; to RH6.2 (as it was at the time) with Courier-IMAP,
Solid-pop3d, Exim and Horde/IMP for webmail back in 2000?

We (as I worked there at the time) spent quite some time designing a
system that not only worked first time, but gave rather good scaleability
in the long term. I'm unsure how the usage has grown, but I do know that
the first year of operation saw twice as much mail processed as the
previous year, with room to spare :)

That was for about 11000 users at the time. I believe it's nearer 15000
nowadays, or perhaps more!

And by including IMP, we managed to reduce the University's dependence on
client-side MUAs too, thus reducing the desktop software support in the
process.

I guess you'll hear a similar tale this evening :)

Graeme