[Nottingham] Debian devotion [was: OE Reply Fixer]

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Mar 5 16:58:05 2003

On Wednesday 05 March 2003 16:32, you wrote:
> Two words for you, well one if you count hyphens and word-joiners. APT-GET.
> Advanced Package Tool. The greatest tool since the invention of duct tape.
> Yes, that's right, this is practically the only reason I love it. Imagine
> wanting a program - like the latest xfree86. Uh oh, you don't have a copy
> installed, so what do you do? You download it, compile it, install it, test
> it, configure it, test it, curse, swear, rant, run. But what if it didn't
> have to be this way? What if I could just type ONE command and it be set up
> properly? That's where apt-get comes in.
>
> I type "apt-get install xfree86" and it gets installed, no questions asked.
> The latest secure version. Now. With all dependencies. It's great! Sure,
> you still have to specify the graphics card and all for xfree86 using
> xf86config or whatever, but the point is - you didn't have to locate where
> xfree86 is stored, you didn't have to download it, or extract it, or
> compile if necessary, or even worry about where to install. It's done, no
> worries.

But apt is available for use with rpm's, developed by Connectiva, it's
included in quite a few distro's now, SuSE being one of them.

I still prefer YaST, new Softtware Manager and YaST Online Update, I know apt
has been improved, but when I tried it did not give me enough control over
what happened.

Also there was some annoying nannnying in Debian, for some reason they
thought, I should not have xntp and chrony on the system at same time.  That
lead to me, de-installing chrony, re-installing xntp to set the time with
ntpdate,  and then de-installing xntp to re-install chrony.

Rob