[Nottingham] Too much traffic

Duncan John Fyfe nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Mar 6 02:00:00 2003

begin
On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Iain Alexander wrote:

> Email traffic seems to be getting heaving in the mailing list, would it
> prudent to consider another method of communication instead of a
> listserver?
>
> I'm specifically thinking about web forum or perhaps irc?
>
> Thoughts. Opinions, flames always welcome :)
>
> Iain

Heavy ?
You call 200-300 messages a month (~<10/day) heavy ?

This is a >MAILING LIST< for a growing LUG what do you expect ?
People don't hang around waiting to answer your questions.  They use this as a forum to talk about Linux (amongs other things) and arrange things which fellow NotLug people might be interested in.

To quote someone you may find familiar:
	"Can you tell I'm not very linux-savvy?"

Yes.

Rather than asking everyone else to change so you don't have to confront your inability to filter mail why not start with a question.
We are a friendly lug (honest), maybe:
	I am using mail user agent (MUA) X, how can I filter my mail
	to make it more managable ?

or:
	I am a windows user.  Have any other forms of euthenasia been legalised yet ?

You might even get a usefull answer (no promises though).

as for irc, why ?

archive.

Have fun,
Duncan

--
Duncan John Fyfe          X-ray Astronomy Group,
                          Dept. of Physics & Astronomy,