[Nottingham] Too much traffic

Graeme Fowler nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Mar 6 13:58:00 2003

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Paul Milazzo Ryder Technology Solutions wrote:
> I must admit i would find a forum a more efficient way of discussing
> things . . . Easy to set up and administer and easier to follow threads.

It's a free[0] world, guys. If anyone wants to setup a forum, board, wiki,
whatever then there's nothing to stop you :)

[0] as in beer, maybe. Certainly not as in democracy, especially if you
happen to be George W Bush...

For the record, I have an archive of 2444 messages starting on 16th
February 2001. Sounds to me like that's roughly 3 per day... but the
distribution is somewhat skewed!

Anyway, back to topic: we have a mailing list, and it's becoming a
very-well-used list. That's got to be a good thing. The best thing about
the list also has to be that *none* of us administer it - which if we put
some sort of forum together then means someone's paying for the hosting,
bandwidth, data, system administration (who mentioned dogs vomiting?) and
all that. Maybe not financially, but certainly in terms of time.

My vote sticks with the mailing list. Besides, why not have both?

Does anyone else find it ironic that (maybe) list traffic might cause one
or two of us to go over NTL's magic cap? ;-)

/me creeps back under rock

Graeme