[Nottingham] Too much traffic

Duncan John Fyfe nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Mar 7 09:37:01 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Paul Sladen wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, .waffle wrote:
> > Well, to be honest, I reckon that a USENET group would be ideal, and as
> > you say, we need a mail -> news gateway or vice versa. I want to do this
> > for another project I am doing, can anyone fill me in on a piece of
> > software (Linux or Win32) that can do this please?
>
>   apt-get install newsgate ?
>
> 	-Paul

I'd just like to thank everyone who has taken part for making this the
longest (and most pointless thread) in the history of the LUG ;)

More seriously though, there are usuallly two sides to this 'Too much' traffic thang.

Fist:
	I have a slow /costly internet connection and downloading umpteen emails a day costs and annoys me.

Second:
	I am crap/have crap software and want the world (and his dog) to accomodate my problems.

First things first, a news gateway - great idea but it sucks just as much on your bandwidth straw unless someone is willing to host a central server.

Either way this needs a new kind of subscription which allows someone to mail the list but not receive the list (assuming you will access read by some other means eg. the archive or a crystal ball).
(comments ?)
Oh - and before someone suggests it I do not like the idea of subscription-free
contributions to the list.

Second things second, I think enough has been written here already.

Have fun,
Duncan

--
Duncan John Fyfe          X-ray Astronomy Group,
                          Dept. of Physics & Astronomy,