[Nottingham] Too much traffic

Martin nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Mar 7 13:27:01 2003

Iain Alexander wrote:

 > I'm kinda sorry I started this thread: (only kind of though)

We're not!

[...]
 > However, I don't think the "My way or the Highway" approach is
 > helpful to anyone and does sort of highlight the dichotimy
 > (spelling?) of the linux user base: ... really great friendly
 > helpful people, who give their time and knowledge for free ...
 >
 > However there are also a number of linux/geek zealot who (IMO) resist
 > any change whatsoever, abhore any form of user friendliness ...

I'm very happy to give my limited and valuable time to a worthwhile
cause. I think most people will take offence when help offered is
rejected due to "too ignorant to change or learn" or "can't be arsed" or
"too scared to try alternatives".

 > To me at least the mailing list seems quite high volume (compared to
 > my regular volume of email) and by association quite time consuming
 > for me,

So very selfishly, you expect the rest of the World, that gets along
very well in this century, to give up and go stone age just for you?

 > I hoped that by mentioning my own thoughts it would
 > spark debate (which It certainly has) and ultimately that would lead
 > to a better solution (for my needs)

Yes, very good. The general consensus will lead to and favour the 'best'
whatever best is. It is your choice whether or not you suffer non-best.
I have a choice also... You can try to convince that your way is 'best'
and we'll decide for ourselves to concur or not.

 > Clearly there are always going to be desenters and nay-sayers in any
 > group, but couldn't we just a sensible discussion without resorting to
[...]

Perhaps polite enquiry is a less fraught method rather than the
insistance that everyone else is to waste their time and effort to save
your time for you!

Explore and learn!

martin@ml1.co.uk