[Nottingham] Too much traffic

Chris Hastie nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Mar 7 13:54:02 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Duncan John Fyfe <djf@star.le.ac.uk> wrote
>Either way this needs a new kind of subscription which allows someone
>to mail the list but not receive the list (assuming you will access
>read by some other means eg. the archive or a crystal ball).

This already exists in Mailman. The web interface lists this option as
'Disable mail delivery', or you can control it by sending the command
"set nomail" in the body or subject of a message to
nottingham-request@mailman.lug.org.uk, ie

mailto:nottingham-request@mailman.lug.org.uk?subject=set%20nomail

It seems to me that the simple compromise here is for those that want to
read messages on the web to set the 'nomail' option and read the archive
at <http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/nottingham/>. Is that so
complicated?

If a mailto: link to the list's address can somehow be included with
each archived message, all the better. I would offer to set up such an
archive using MHonArc, but I've just been offered a job in Warwick so I
won't be around after a month or so.
--
Chris Hastie