[Nottingham] Broadband - where does the cable modem need to go?

D Luff nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Mar 13 15:23:02 2003

Hi all,

I'm getting NTL broadband installed in about an hour or so (the 128Kbs variety since I'm a tight
git !) and apparently the chap wants to run a chunky great cable through the house to where
the computer is.  I presume that's where he wants to site the cable modem.  Is there any
necessity to site the modem by the computer, or can it just go where the cable enters the
house to leave me to wire it up with ethernet cable at my leisure?  Recomendations?

I'd also be keen to know if there's any must-do's on the security front before leaving the
connection on - I'm a Linux newbie and not entirely sure of how secure the box is/should be
out-of-the-box.  (Libranet 2.0 - basically Debian Woody/Sarge with a nice installer).

Cheers - Dave