[Nottingham] Broadband - where does the cable modem need to go?

Ben P. Blackburne nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Mar 13 15:39:02 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 15:21, D Luff wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm getting NTL broadband installed in about an hour or so (the 128Kbs variety since I'm a tight
> git !) and apparently the chap wants to run a chunky great cable through the house to where
> the computer is.  I presume that's where he wants to site the cable modem.  Is there any
> necessity to site the modem by the computer, or can it just go where the cable enters the
> house to leave me to wire it up with ethernet cable at my leisure?  Recomendations?

Do *not* let them run the cable a long way to the modem. We did this and
it doesn't work. The connection would come up and down randomly, and
whenever engineers came round it would be working! After having the
know-nothing cowboy "engineers" round loads of times a mate suggested
using a shorter piece of cable he had lying around. Bingo, that fixed
it.

As you suggest, you can sit the modem by the wall and use a long
ethernet cable to connect to the machine. No problem.

Ben