[Nottingham] debian?

Alex Tibbles nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Mar 24 10:04:01 2003

<snip>
> tend to prefer using the actual names of the
> distribution, given some of my
> hardware really won't like going to the latest
> distro version when it comes
> around (25MHz Sun IPC, anyone?).
good luck with that!

> I'll put my foot in my mouth and say "trust
> testing", because 'unstable'
> really is very much that from time to time. The
> number of people who track
> it and complain when they dist-upgrade and find half
> their pacakges
> deinstall themselves due to package renaming is
> silly - if you're going to
> track something unstable, either know what you're
> doing before updating or
> just accept it when you have to reinstall a bunch of
> stuff <g>
atm testing is not really much different to stable,
except in terms of stability :) it's a bit broken -
php4 is currently non-upgradable, for example. sid has
gone through about 5 versions of libc6 in the last
week or two. for now, if you want stuff to work, stick
with stable, if you don't mind being careful/ things
breaking, use unstable or testing. sarge aka testing
will stabilise soon and is getting much more up to
date quickly.

> Testing should have KDE 3.1 and GNOME 2.2 in. Give
> that a bash - just
> replace 'stable' with 'sid' in your sources.list
> file and let it go.
sid == unstable; (and apparently always will be)
sarge == testing. (until the next stable release).

alex