[Nottingham] CPU and Memory benchmark programs

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Mar 31 18:34:00 2003

Doing some experimentation comparing CPUs, compilers and optimisation
options.  Surprisingly there seem to be few choices of CPU & Memory benchmark
programs around, I've used one called nbench (byte benchmarks) and a program
callled MemSpeed which shows nicely effect of cache sizes.

Any body got any suggestions for any better benchmark programs, apart from
the obvious kernel compile?  Maybe I've missed the obvious?

Anyway FWIW, it would appear that the Gentoo optimised compile can bring
decent speed ups on CPU bound stuff on i686 (and actually would expect Athlon
and P4 to show greater effects though those systems should be comparatively
more I/O bound than PII / Celeron ones).  I'm actually rather surprised by
the improvement shown by gcc-3.2 over 2.95, and also the comparatively larger
effect of -march= options in gcc-3.   The IDEA values were showing 50%
improvement, which would suggest it's well worth the effort, for things like
gzip / zlib, bzip2, ssh etc.  There's a significant improvment over
-march=pentium options which was no better than portable i386 code on a i686
core CPU.

C compiler          : gcc version 3.2
OPTFLAGS :  -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer
libc                : ld-2.2.5.so
INTEGER INDEX       : 7.692
FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 7.020
MEMORY INDEX        : 2.261
INTEGER INDEX       : 1.697
FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 3.893

C compiler          : gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (SuSE)
OPTFLAGS :  -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -arch=i686
libc                : ld-2.2.4.so
INTEGER INDEX       : 8.221
FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 6.712
MEMORY INDEX        : 1.992
INTEGER INDEX       : 2.097
FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 3.723

INTEGER INDEX       : 9.564
FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 7.084

C compiler          : gcc version 3.2
OPTFLAGS :  -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -arch=pentium2
libc                : ld-2.2.5.so
INTEGER INDEX       : 9.564
FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 7.084
MEMORY INDEX        : 2.243